Stinky Pee Smell

• March 1, 2016 at 4:06 pm #13100
    Julie
    Keymaster

Recently rescued a std poodle and it looks to me that he always piddles near a tree but have recently noticed that when I open the backdoor there is quite a stench of urine. Have washed the patio down with Lysol but can’t eliminate the odor and therefore cannot keep the door open as it gets into the house. What do you suggest? Thanking you in advance for your advice.
    Phyllis

• March 1, 2016 at 4:07 pm #13101
    Julie
    Keymaster

Hi Phyllis,
    Warren’s favorite Stain & Odor Remover is the [url=http://petshow.myshopify.com/products/stain-odor-remover-32oz-squeeze-bottle]AKC Gold[/url]brand. I’m sure you’ve heard him talk about it on the air. Saturate the area thoroughly and let it dry, this should remove the odor for both you and the dog.

Hopefully Warren will pop in with some advice on how to get him to stop piddling in that spot.
    Regards,
    Julie

• March 1, 2016 at 4:08 pm #13102
    Julie
    Keymaster

Phyllis,
    If you clean up with the AKC Gold, that will help. Try taking a paper towel or two and rub it where he is peeing by the tree. Place that paper towel in the area you want him to use. Try not to let him go in that area for a day or two and see if that helps.
    ~Warren~

• May 28, 2018 at 3:54 pm #15468
    Terry Wall
    Participant

Good afternoon! I was following this thread as I have a question, that actually pertains to a cat. Last week, we rescued a beautiful male cat. The foster family that was looking after “Lucky” until we took him to his forever home seems to think he might be a Flamepoint Ragdoll. We brought him home last Thursday and kept him confined to our bedroom as our home is large compared to the apartment where his foster guardians lived. Here’s where it gets dicey: Last night, my wife thought it would be OK to let Lucky out to explore the entire house, and that’s where things went sideways. Lucky peed in several spots of carpet and it dried before we could locate exactly where he went. Although Lucky is almost two, the foster family and whoever may have owned him hadn’t had him neutered and his urine smell is VERY STRONG!!

We’ve had several cats over the years and pride ourselves in doing so without any smell that would suggest we have them, so this is not sitting well with me. Lucky is going to the vet this week to get “snipped and chipped” (he’d had neither done!) and hopefully the snipping will help cut down some of the smell. But the more important issue is: How can I find where Lucky has peed? Do the UV flashlights really work? I am desperate to find where he’s gone potty and knock that smell down. I would also appreciate verification about the odor removal product that Warren talks about. Does it really work?

We love our new buddy, but him peeing wherever he wants–other than the litter box–just won’t work. So I want to be pro-active in finding a solution, and any insights from this group would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
    Terry W.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Topic Tags