Peeing and Chewing

• March 1, 2016 at 4:30 pm #13120
    Julie
    Keymaster

I called in to the show, but sad to say of course there wasn’t enough time to ask about some other issues I have. I have a 7 year old pit/lab mix and a 1 year old corgi/terrier mix. The pit/lab has had several strokes and the younger one is attacking him when he is upset with us. Thankfully, you had given us some tips on that, however, my other problems with him are that he likes to urinate in the house (alot) and he also chews the shirt and underwear off my 6-year old when he is sleeping. Finn (the pup) knows to go out, he even scratches to be let out, and we are constantly letting him out. He is probably let out 20 times a day and that is not exaggerating, then he will pee on the floor, either on a bag or a box or just anywhere…not really specific. We have even let him out and within minutes he will pee on something, thankfully not usually carpet. As far as the chewing, he has deer antlers to chew, and several of them, and still chooses to chew my sons shirts and underwear when he sleeps, even some of his blankets are quite hole-y. No one else, just the boys. My son loves for Finn to sleep with him, but doesn’t like his clothes almost gone by morning. We have begun to keep him out of the boy’s room at night. Any suggestions would be helpful.

• March 1, 2016 at 4:30 pm #13121
    Julie
    Keymaster

You may actually be letting the dog out to often, you need to make sure when you let him out, you stay with him for now to make sure he goes. If not when you bring him back in the house watch him with a hawkeye. It’s also important to clean up with the AKC Gold I endorse as it really works to get rid of the odor….The ripping of your sons clothing is a different story, I would love to know how young the dog was when separated from his litter..find one or two items that the dog only gets when your son goes to sleep, remove them in the morning…try that for awhile..Please feel free to call the show again for more info.
    ~Warren~

• November 17, 2016 at 11:05 am #13883
    valerie berke
    Participant

I was an independent rescuer until I had some health problems and I now have a crazy home with all these dogs I LOVE! Unfortunately, slowly I’ve had to get rid of things in my house because of the peeing and chewing which I have no control over. There are six, three large and three small and I NEVER SEE ANY OF THEM DEMONSTRATING ANY OF THESE DESTRUCTIVE BEHAVIORS!!! I’ve tried antlers, Kong toys, treats, etc., but I can’t get it right. I do know they don’t get enough exercise, but I cannot afford more than one walk a week. They have a beautiful yard and a doggy door and I don’t know what else to do! I had beautiful new shutters put in two days ago, only to find 5 slats ripped apart. They get good food and lots of attention from me and I’m at my wit’s end. If it’s separation anxiety, they do it even when I’m in another room. I had beautiful rugs that I’ve had to throw out because the urine smell was overwhelming, even with all the sprays I’ve tried. They pee on whatever they want and can reach AND AGAIN, I NEVER SEE WHO DOES WHAT!! PLEASE PLEASE HELP ME, thank you so much.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Topic Tags