Getting Diabetic Dog to Eat…

• March 1, 2016 at 4:26 pm #13117
    Julie
    Keymaster

Hi,
    I have a 13 1/2 year old poodle who has many illnesses at this point. He’s always been a fussy eater, but with diabetes it is important that he eat consistently and similar amounts. That only happens in spurts. He will eat well for a week and a half to two weeks and then get really fussy and not eat enough calories. I’ve literally tried everything. We are on the verge of putting a feeding tube in to avoid his blood sugar going too low again. Do you have any suggestions? He was on a prescription diet for many years, but now only ate it for a week and a half again. He eats human food. The vet doesn’t care too much what he eats, but that he eats. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

• March 1, 2016 at 4:27 pm #13118
    Julie
    Keymaster

Have you tried heating the food first, before you feed him. Also try putting some of his food alongside some human foods that really have a strong smell tuna, salmon, etc. let it sit next to it over night, but just feed the dog food. The dog food will take on the strong scent of the human food, heat it up an see if it helps. You might also consider asking your vet about high calorie pastes, but not sure with the diabetes……..You may also want to try feed small amounts in several areas of the home.
    ~Warren~

• March 1, 2016 at 4:27 pm #13119
    Julie
    Keymaster

I always warm his food. The problem is that he will not always eat human food. I keep having to change what I offer him. He will not eat the “high calorie paste” any more. We used it to fill in for awhile, but now he walks away when we offer it. He has never been a great eater and now it’s even worse.

• March 1, 2016 at 4:45 pm #13132
    Julie
    Keymaster

Hi,
    I posted about my dog who won’t eat. All of his bloodwork is not too bad, but we did have to adjust his thyroid med. Because he only will eat treats and very little food, we are placing a feeding tube tomorrow so he doesn’t starve to death. He took a good quick walk this morning, so he still is interested in life. It has been an agonizing decision, but we had to make it.

• March 1, 2016 at 4:54 pm #13140
    Julie
    Keymaster

Have you gotten a second opinion?
    ~Warren~

• March 1, 2016 at 4:54 pm #13141
    Julie
    Keymaster

Another internal med doc saw him and said the same thing. A feeding tube will be an eventuality if he doesn’t eat. He ate last night, but the inconsistancy is getting worse, which is very bad for a diabetic dog. He’s crankier. We don’t know why. We are hoping that with more calories and a full belly he feels better. We can always reverse the tube if need be.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Topic Tags